Recognition for Red Girl Rat Boy from Biblioasis in 2013
- Finalist for Ethel Wilson Fiction Award in B C Book Prizes, 2014
- Long-listed for Frank O’Connor International Short Story Award, 2014
- January Magazine — Best Fiction for 2013
Read more in January Magazine
- Quill & Quire — Best Books of the Year 2013
Read more in Quill and Quire
- Journey Prize 1990 for story “My Father Took a Cake to France”
- Western Magazines Gold Award 1994 for story “Country Life”
- National Magazines Gold Award fiction 2000 for story “Religious Knowledge”
- Prism International 2nd Prize fiction 2000 for “Religious Knowledge”
- Nomination for City of Vancouver Book Award 2002 for novel Making a Stone of the Heart
Inclusions in Best Canadian Stories:
- “Miss Pringle’s Hour” 1997
- “Religious Knowledge” 2001
- “Learning To Dance” 2008
- “Addresses” 2013
- “The Dog and the Sheep,” 2015
- “The Summer Boy,” upcoming in 2016
Praise for Cynthia Flood
New Book Coming This Fall: WHAT CAN YOU DO
My new collection of short stories, WHAT CAN YOU DO, will appear from Biblioasis this fall. I’m happy to have another book coming out!
To describe a miscellany: never easy. Vancouver’s the setting for many of the twelve stories in WHAT CAN YOU DO, animals and/or children often appear, and some stories cover decades while others show only a few hours. Often, a change of scene affects people strongly.
A launch will happen in Vancouver, date/place TBA, and I’ll be in Ontario in Sept/Oct to launch it there. Info to come on that, too.
As soon as the cover design for What Can You Do is ready, I’ll post it here.
Red Girl Rat Boy